Prior to entering academia, I worked with a range of NGOs, including World Vision International and World Vision Australia, the International Women’s Development Agency, and Action Aid Australia. Throughout my academic career, I have maintained an active engagement with the world of policy and practice, and have provided advice or delivered training to a range of government and non-government agencies.
- Appointed a member of the Inter-agency Standing Committee Task Team on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and Accountability to Affected Populations in 2017. The IASC was established by the UN General Assembly in 1992 to act as the primary mechanism for inter-agency coordination of humanitarian assistance between UN and non-UN humanitarian partners and has been at the centre of SEA policy development.
- Appointed Board Director of Oxfam Australia in 2018.
- Appointed an expert advisor to the revision of the United States Institute of Peace’s Conflict Management Training for Peacekeepers in 2018-2019, which is the mandated pre-deployment training provided to peacekeepers from the largest troop contributors in Africa. This involved providing advice on existing curriculum, reviewing revised curriculum and presenting a training workshop for senior peacekeeping trainers.
- Appointed an expert advisor on peace processes deployed with a DFAT/Australian Civil-Military Centre mission to the Taskforce Bangon Marawi conference on the peace process in Marawi, the Philippines, November 2018.
- Presented at a closed roundtable discussion for mediators involved in the Myanmar peace process hosted by the United States Institute of Peace, Washington DC, March 2017.
- Presented at a closed roundtable discussion hosted by the Australian High Commissioner to Cyprus and the University of Nicosia on the country’s ongoing peace process, Nicosia, November 2015.
- Conducted training for Palestinian NGOs relating to peacebuilding and approaches to conflict resolution within Palestinian civil society, Bethlehem, November 2015.
- Appointed Academic Director of the International Peace and Security Institute and Johns Hopkins SAIS Bologna Symposium on Conflict Prevention, Resolution and Reconciliation, Bologna, June 2015.
Freeing the Hungry Billion: A critique of Australia’s approach to the global food crisis
ActionAid Australia, Sydney, 2009 (40pp).
UNSCR 1325 on Women, Peace and Security: Implications, Implementation and Future Directions for Australia
Position Paper, International Women’s Development Agency, November 2008 (42pp).